11 Habits of an Effective Teacher - A Reflection

As an aspiring educator, I believe that it is of the utmost importance to make observations and reflect on what really makes a great teacher effective in the classroom. This knowledge is drawn from past experiences, both as a student and as a colleague of other teachers, from educational articles and videos, and, perhaps most importantly, from feedback provided by students. No one is expected to be an effective teacher right off the bat. But what separates the mediocre teachers from the truly great and inspiring ones is the ability of these great teachers to take student feedback and make the necessary changes in their teaching style or classroom organization that allow all students to thrive and succeed in their classroom.

The first "habit" listed by Carrie Lam here might be one of the most important attributes of an educator, which is that they "enjoy teaching." I cannot begin to list the number of teachers I have had throughout my childhood and adolescence who made it quite obvious, either intentionally or not, that they did not truly enjoy their jobs. This was evident in the way they interacted with students, or how they were just not passionate enough about their content area to be excited to share their knowledge with others. However, once someone establishes that they thoroughly enjoy their content area and helping others achieve their fullest potential, they are able to more fully embrace the remaining "habits" listed.

As a teacher, I may be confronted with students who do not see the value in learning my content area or in coming to school to learn at all. It is therefore my job to give my 100% each and every day and spreading positive energy in the classroom, despite what is going on for me outside of the classroom. This involves making the effort to really get to know the students so I can understand what motivates them in order to make them passionate about my content area. If I have any trouble thinking of new, creative, and inspiring ways to present information to my class, there is a wealth of information right at my fingertips in the form of articles, blogs, and YouTube videos that will enhance my instructional repertoire. Fellow teachers are also an excellent resource to learn from, as they might have knowledge that only comes from years of trial and error in the classroom, but can give me an early edge in my classroom.

The day to day experiences in my classroom will most likely not play out exactly as I had intended in my lesson plans or as I had prepared for in college, but it is important to be able to, and willing to, adapt to whatever situation arises in the classroom. Effective teachers are able to keep their cool under pressure and change their plans if something unexpected arises such as a failed instructional lesson, but still ensure that their standards and expectations are being met through implementation of alternative activities or other instructional methods.

Most importantly, I must remember the real reason I will be standing in front of that classroom: the students. It is not to boost my ego, or because I like to hear myself talk for 6.5 hours per day, but to actively engage the students and get them thinking and asking questions in preparation for making them active and contributing members of society.

Comments

Popular Posts